More than words...!@#$%^&*()_+
Expression is, as the dictionary defines it, the communication of your beliefs, opinions, feelings and thoughts, with or without words. The crux to effective communication is as simple as "say what you mean" and "mean what you say". Easier said than done. The problem starts when we say what we think rather than what we mean. There is a difference. The missing element is that of analysis of the possible interpretations and hence the evaluation of the repercussion of what is to be said. Selection of words is another critical part of properly expressing yourself. For example, abusive language may correctly reflect your anger or frustration but it is offensive and reflects your discourtesy and your insensitivity to the people around you. By the rule of 21 (any good or bad habit can form in 3 weeks), I can safely say I have given up swearing. It’s my 28th day today since the day I promised myself I would not swear anymore, and would call to apologize any friend every time I did. I already feel like a new person. Another tip for effective communication is to start your sentences with a "please" and end them with a "thank you".After that, it doesn't matter what you say in-between. As far as non-verbal communication is concerned, believe it or not but research has shown that body language and facial expression make up for more than 50% of any conversation! So be mindful of not only your body language but also how other people’s body language and facial expression change as you converse; and respond accordingly. Learn to read between the lines. Finally, be pithy, crisp and mellifluent in your own expression.
“Be quick to listen and slow to speak"
1 comment:
what u think shd also be wht u mean...if wht u think is wht u wanna say..nvm..
and dude if u think so much before saying anything,it would take you a mnth to come up with something to say...and then it'll become a habit cos its more than 21 days..hahaha
but nice entry..
Post a Comment